MY PEACE of nutrition - Breakfast

I'm 47 now, and I am still struggling to find the right meal for breakfast.
I want it to be quick, easy, filling and crunchy.
Yes crunchy, meaning I want to feel like I am biting into something and not just chewing mush.

In the past,  I usually made a strawberry-banana smoothie.I made those  for years.
 I am tired of them and to be honest I just use too much sugar. Six packets of Equal in one Smoothie!
That is scaring me.
The other problem is when I finished my smoothie, my body temperature dropped so low that I was cold as hell. That's not cool in the Winter.

I ran across a recipe in Shape magazine - for a  Breakfast burrito! I think this is perfect.
It's low in calories, a lot of protein, carbs and taste,
plus it's easy to make and can be prepared at home or work.
If you make it at work, you can  prepare the ingredients the night before or in the morning before work (In order to not to be rushing, I suggest the night before), then when you get to work put the ingredients together, pop in the toaster oven and eat.

There is no set recipe for a breakfast burrito. But the staple ingredients eggs and veggies.
The staples ingredients
Egg whites - low in calories

Good points
Bad points



Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 
1/4 cup (56.8 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
30
Calories from Fat 
0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
0.0g
0%
Saturated Fat 
0.0g
0%
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
115mg
5%
Total Carbohydrates 
1.0g
0%
Protein 
6.0g
Vitamin A 15%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%Iron 6%


Veggies - peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc - for flavor
Bell peppers benefits
- packed with vitamins A & C, with significant amounts of folate and vitamin B6. These vitamins provide tremendous health benefits by helping reduce swelling in the arteries that lead to heart disease, diabetes and cholesterol build up
- low in calories
- virtually no fat, no sodium or cholesterol
- bell peppers are considered a fat burning food because with 10% fiber, your body will have to work harder to digest it
- adds a punch of flavor to any recipe with minimal fat


Optional ingredients
Black beans -very high in fiber, folate, PROTEIN, and antioxidants
helpful in lowering blood cholesterol 
combat cardiovascular disease
connected with reduced risk of certain cancers
* I use canned black beans. The bad point with them is they are high in sodium, whether you get the regular or "low sodium" kind

cheese - for taste
salsa - for taste and low in calories


The recommended daily protein requirements is derived from your "ideal body weight". 
The ideal body weight is calculated based on height and varies slightly for men and women. 
Our protein requirements can also be expressed in terms of total caloric intake. 
The world health organization and many national health agencies have independently conducted studies, which (even though they differ slightly) all conclude our daily protein requirement should be between 
10% to 15% of our daily caloric intake.
To calculate your specific daily protein requirement 1) determine your ideal body weight, then 2) calculate your specific protein requirements based on your ideal weight.

In my case, I am 170lbs, want to be 160lbs, 47 years old, active working out 5 days a week. I drink too much, Yikes! Objective 2500 calories a week, plus minimize alcohol. You got to start slow.

Breakfast preparation

Started the night before

Measure out egg

Saute' onions and red bell peppers



Add eggs to saute' veggies


Scramble to your liking


Pack my breakfast for the next day, black beans, eggs, whole wheat tortilla, cheese and salsa plus a banana.


Next day at work


Using the toaster over at work, place tortilla on foil (or pan), bake it for 4-5 minutes, while the tortilla is toasting near the end, place the eggs and beans in the microwave to warm up. When the tortilla is toasted to your liking, place the eggs and bean, which I left at home this particular day, on top of the tortilla, add the cheese and place back in the toaster oven in order to melt the cheese a little. When cheese is melted, add your salsa and you're ready to eat.


It's not that pretty but it


taste good, very healthy and low in calories. Make your own and let me know what you think.


Handmade Jewelry & Mannequins designs by Zalina on Etsy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MANNEQUIN - DIY

How to Choose the Right Earrings for your Face Shape

Getting started...